If you are looking to soundproof a room in your home, you need to find a qualified Valley Village contractor to do the job for you. There are many reasons why people choose to soundproof – create a home music studio, home theater room, a home office, or simply to keep noise out of their bedrooms. Whatever your purpose it, check out the basics of soundproofing for your San Fernando Valley remodel.
As Howto.Wired explains: “Noise problems are typically complex and multifaceted. Sound is like water: block it from traveling along one path, and it will simply find another. To make matters worse, applying almost any soundproofing measure is harder in practice than it seems in theory. Soundproofing materials can be difficult to work with, contractors aren’t always familiar with them, and the quirks of existing construction can derail even the best-laid plans.” Therefore, it is extremely important to find a Valley Village contractor that is experienced in soundproofing, and has done many successful jobs such as this in the past.
Tips For Soundproofing
1. Use Green Glue – One of the newest items on the market available for soundproofing is called Green Glue. This is a non-toxic viscoelastic compound that changes sound into heat. This process absorbs the sound, instead of lowering it. It can be applied between two sheets of material, such as drywall, floors and ceilings.
Green Glue claims that it helps soundproof floors, walls, cabinets and home theaters. Read what the company promises as far as results below.
Floors And Walls:
- Dramatic reductions in impact and airborne noise high STCs (>>50, varies with construction) on a normal 2×4 wall with superior low frequency performance relative to resilient walls of any type.
- Reduction or elimination of flanking noise (the damping converts vibrational energy to harmless levels of heat as it travels through damped walls, floors, ceilings, and frames)
Loudspeaker Cabinets & Home Theater Construction:
- Cabinets: dramatically reduced magnitude of resonant peaks, tremendous decay rates, excellent dynamic stiffness, and 20* the damping factor of rigid adhesives
2. Add Carpets – Sound doesn’t just travel through walls, but also through floors and ceilings. One of the most inexpensive ways to deal with sound waves is to add carpeting to your home. While most people have never considered this, carpet can be added not just to floors, but also to walls and ceilings, creating a thick barrier for sound. Your Valley Village contractor can consult you on what carpet is best for your needs, but, typically, shag carpet provides the best results as it traps sound between it’s many layers. Additionally, try to find carpet with a thick under layer, or buy carpet underlay mats to provide maximum sound entrapment.
3. Install Double-Paned Windows – Contractor Studio City, Hugs Construction, has completed custom studio construction for home and professional studios, and can recommend adding double-paned windows to soundproof a room. These windows have many benefits on top of insulating your home from noise both inside and outside the home. In addition, as we wrote about in our article, Los Angeles Green Remodeling Tips, these windows are also energy efficient, and can save you money each month on utility bills. EnergyStar.com claims that this change “lowers household energy bills by 7-15 percent. Lower energy consumption also reduces greenhouse gas emissions from power plants and shrinks a house’s carbon footprint.” Other than saving money, new doors and windows will make you feel more comfortable in your home as it will keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Hugs Construction has over 20 years of experience and is a full service construction company in the San Fernando Valley and surrounding Los Angeles area. We work on projects of all sizes, such as kitchen and bath remodeling, wiring and electric work, soundproofing, installing windows and doors, specialty projects and new constructions.
We pride ourselves on utilizing green products to sustain the environment. We strive to maintain high customer satisfaction with every job, making sure that our work lasts for many years to come.
To get a quote for your home renovation, contact us.