If you want to remodel your home, it is a wise choice to consider doing a green remodel. A green remodel incorporates using natural and toxin-free materials, such as paint, to improve your home, as well as considering the natural environment and your impact upon in. While any remodeling job will cost you money upfront, a Los Angeles green remodeling job can actually save you money in terms of energy and water bills in the long run. Your local Valley Village contractor, Hugs Construction, provides the best five green remodeling tips.
Top 5 Los Angeles Green Remodeling Tips
1. Upgrade Your Doors and Windows – When considering a home renovation, many people are excited to remake their kitchen or bathroom with a fresh new look. Although these renovations are useful, upgrading doors and windows is an important part of any Los Angeles green remodeling project. Compared to the high cost of building a new kitchen and installing new appliances, changing out windows and doors is less expensive, and provides savings every month on your electricity bill.
Ask your Valley Village contractor about installing ENERGY STAR doors and windows. EnergyStar.com claims that this change “lowers household energy bills by 7-15 percent. Lower energy consumption also reduces greenhouse gas emissions from power plants and shrinks a house’s carbon footprint.” Other than saving money, new doors and windows will make you feel more comfortable in your home as it will keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
2. Install Reclaimed Wood Floors – Reclaimed wood is processed wood that is recycled from old barns, wine barrels, or other purposes. It is more green because instead of purchasing new wood or synthetic flooring materials, your Valley Village contractor will buy already used wood. Just like recycling paper, using reclaimed wood for replacing or installing new floors helps the environment by not cutting down new trees. Jetson Green states that another benefit of reclaimed wood is its strength. “When compared to new flooring, reclaimed wood flooring is up to forty points harder on the Janka hardness scale,” the site explains.” That’s because old-growth timber is stronger than wood extracted from first-generation.” This means that your new flooring will not only look better, with less knicks and scratches, but will also last longer.
3. Install Solar Panels – What can be more green that living off the sun’s rays? When it comes to Los Angeles green remodeling, one of the wisest choices you can make is to install solar panels. Solar panels are installed on your roof by your Valley Village contractor, and convert light from the sun into electricity you can use to power your home.
While going solar is a big investment, it also offers big savings. “For example, a homeowner… who pays an average of $200 per month on electricity would spend more than $43,000 to have solar panels installed. After tax credits and rebates, the total cost would be just over $30,000,” according to Yahoo! Homes. “However, after just one year, that homeowner would save anywhere between $1,200 to $2,778 on electric bills. After 25 years, that savings could be as high as $116,560.”
4. Create an Eco-Friendly Landscape – Another big change you can make when doing your Los Angeles green remodeling job is to make your outdoor space more eco-friendly. Planting a few trees and purchasing some patio furniture can truly transform a space. When considering updating your landscape, remember to think green. For example, choose plants that are indigenous to your area. If you live in a hot climate, such as Los Angeles, don’t choose greens that need a lot of water. Another benefit of using native plants is that they are more resistant to pests, so you don’t need to purchase and use pesticide, which also helps the environment avoid the toxins.
5. Use Low or No-VOC Paint – If you will be repainting your walls, remember that most traditional paint has toxins that have been found to be harmful to health. Many people suffer from allergies or sensitivities to toxins in the home, without often knowing it. “Typical household paint contains up to 10,000 chemicals, of which 300 are known toxins and 150 have been linked to cancer,” according to HowStuffWorks. So, when adding a fresh coat of paint during your Los Angeles green remodeling project, opt for low or no-VOC (volatile organic compounds) paint.
Hugs Construction has over 20 years of experience and is a full service construction company in the San Fernando Valley and surrounding Los Angeles area. We work on projects of all sizes, such as kitchen and bath remodeling, wiring and electric work, soundproofing, installing windows and doors, specialty projects and new constructions.
We pride ourselves on utilizing green products to sustain the environment. We strive to maintain high customer satisfaction with every job, making sure that our work lasts for many years to come.
To get a quote for your home renovation, contact us.